The IP rating is mentioned many times in the sales literature that you might read. It is typically shown as IP54 or IP67 etc. The first number is the object protection level; the second number is the moisture resistance level. The numbers range from 1-8 with 8 meaning better protection. In radio we only really see 4-8 mentioned. So the higher the numbers you see, the better the protection level.
IP Ratings Explained
P Standards for Protection against Objects
- IP 0x No protection
- IP 1x Protected against solid objects up to 50mm (e.g. accidental touch by hands)
- IP 2x Protected against solid objects up to 12mm (e.g. fingers)
- IP 3x Protected against solid objects over 2.5mm (tools and wires)
- IP 4x Protected against solid objects over 1mm (small particle protection)
- IP 5x Protected against dust - limited ingress (dust protection)
- IP 6x Totally protected against dust
http://www.dts.solutions/contact-usIP Standards for Moisture Ingress
- IP x0 No protection
- IP x1 Protected against vertically falling drops of water (e.g. condensation)
- IP x2 Protected against direct sprays of water up to 15° from the vertical.
- IP x3 Protected against spray to 60° from the vertical
- IP x4 Protected against water sprayed from all directions (limited ingress permitted)
- IP x5 Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions (limited ingress permitted)
- IP x6 Protected against strong jets of water e.g. for use on ship-decks (limited ingress permitted)
- IP x7 Protected against the effects of immersion between 16cm and 1m (submersible)
- IP x8 Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure (submersible)
If you cannot find the IP rating on the model of radio you are looking at, please contact us and we can advise you.